Saturday, June 11, 2011

Sketch-Balcony

Sketch-Balcony, watercolor in my travel journal. This balcony happens to be in Marbella, Spain, but it really doesn't matter. What matters is the feeling this balcony gives me, regardless of how much it costs. The sun is shining and I have shade, the plants are thriving, there is water available, and the table has a tablecloth as an invitation to sit down and eat something. As I travel from one language to another, from one culture to another, I realize I do not have feelings of "patriotism". My feelings are for individuals, not for groups under a colored piece of cloth. Individuals feel happy, sad, suffer and die. I am "patriotic", since I respect people I admire: hard working people who take care of themselves and their families.
Acuarela en mi cuaderno de viajes. Este balcon esta en Marbella, Espana, pero en realidad no importa. Lo que importa es la sensacion que este balcon me da, independientemente de su precio. El sol brilla y yo tengo sombra, las plantas crecen con gusto, hay agua, y la mesa tiene un mantel como invitacion a sentarse y comer algo. Al viajar de un idioma a otro, y de una cultura a otra, me doy cuenta que no tengo sentimientos de "patriotismo". Mis sentimientos son para individuos, no para grupos reunidos debajo de un trapo de color. Son los individuos los que se sienten felices, tristes, sufren y mueren. Yo soy "patriota", pues respeto a la gente que admiro: gente trabajadora que saben cuidarse a si mismos y cuidar a sus familias.

No comments:

Post a Comment