Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pine Cove, Idyllwild

Pine Cove, Idyllwild, watercolor, 4x6 inches (10x15 cm).
One lovely afternoon in 1997, I painted this small watercolor just for fun, sitting at the end of the deck in our mountain cabin in the forest. Pine Cove is in the outskirts of Idyllwild, about two hours East of Los Angeles, California. I forgot about the little painting, until a few weeks later, when a painter friend, Etti, asked me to enter it into a show at the South Bay Watercolor Society in Long Beach. Since I had never entered a show, he helped me with the paperwork, the framing and wire, etc. My little fun painting was accepted! That was the first time my work was exhibited in an art gallery. Recognition and reassurance feels like warm water over your back: wonderful! I paint for pleasure, for meditation, for therapy. And when somebody likes my work enough to buy it, to accept it into a gallery, or to give it an award, my spirit soars! I can say with Hellen Keller: "The story of my life is the story of my friends".

No comments:

Post a Comment