Wednesday, March 3, 2010

La Bergere

"La Bergere", (the shepperdess), is the nickname used for Jacqueline in the French Pyrenees. She's always helping others, connecting people together, communicating with everybody. She owns a small gallery/bookstore/gift shop in Saint Savin, next to the church, where she holds conferences, art shows, book and poetry readings, inviting new and old alike. She greets everybody with a hug and a smile. I met her in 2007, when I barely spoke French, but we managed to communicate. She saw a few of my paintings and offered me to have a solo show in her gallery. That was my first exhibition in France.

I did this pastel portrait of her, from the back, with her typical "chignon", looking toward the ancient church of Saint Savin, as a present for her in 2007. Jacqueline will be 80 years old in a few days; they are doing a book about the Pyrenees celebrating her birthday, and this painting has been selected to be on the cover. La Bergere, pastel, 20x16" (50x40 cm.) She's bringing people together again.


No comments:

Post a Comment