Monday, January 10, 2011

The Sketchbook Project: page 19

The Sketchbook Project, page 19, acrylic.

Outside: Hong Kong. After studying Cantonese-Chinese for three years (after working all day as high school teacher), I won a scholarship to study at Maria College, in Hong Kong, for a month, in 1986 -- First time I traveled alone, without my family.
Inside: A sense of acomplishment at the honor, excitement at the opportunity and the adventure. My love for Chinese art, language and culture kept growing. It was fun! I tried to share this new knowledge with my children, my then 10 year old son learned to count in Cantonese and to say "Hoh-La-Mah?" (How are you?)
Afuera: Hong Kong. Luego de estudiar Chino-Cantones por tres anos (al final del dia completo de trabajo como profesora del secundario) gane una beca para estudiar en el Maria College, en Hong Kong, durante un mes, en 1986. -- Primera vez que viajaba sola, sin mi familia.
Adentro: Una sensacion de haber logrado un gran honor, excitacion con la oportunidad y la aventura. Mi amor por el arte, el idioma y la cultura chinos crecia. Fue muy divertido! Yo trate de compartir mis nuevos conocimientos con mis hijos, mi hijo que entonces tenia 10 anos aprendio a contar en Cantones y a decir: "Hoh-La-Mah?" (Como estas?).

No comments:

Post a Comment