Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cosmos IV

Cosmos IV, acrylic on canvas, 10x10" (25x25cm) last one of the "Cosmos" series of four paintings.

Last year, I found and read the book: ARTISTS SKETCHBOOKS AND ILLUSTATED DIARIES, Exploring the In/Visible. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a record of the author/editor. Among the artists that kept wonderful sketchbooks are -Elizabeth Vigee Le Brun, -Sara Rosenbluth, -Susan Abbott, -Natalia Blanch, and many others. I believe sketchbooks are the most intimate form of artistic expression. Picasso said: "Je suis le cahier." (I am the sketchbook.) An artist's sketchbook is a record of her life, not usually intended for public display. Travel is a source of inspiration for me and has been for many other artists. Keeping a sketchbook gives you an awareness of the immediate, the moment, the now. When you are sketching life stops, and you feel the pulse of the universe without past or future.

No comments:

Post a Comment